Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Live Litely on the Earth, borrowed from Eileen's Place


Most people would agree that it is important to find ways to save the earth's resources and improve the environment for future generations.However, the task is huge and it is often difficult for us to see how the small things we do will really make a difference. I have a few favorite quotes on how one person can make a difference to inspire you:


"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Ghandi


"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right." ~Confucius


"When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world." ~Author Unknown


"Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person." ~Mother Teresa


"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead



Below is an ongoing list of things we can do to help the environment. If you have any to add, please place a comment and I'll update the list!


1. Turn off lights, computers and other electricity burners when they are not in use.
2. Do not throw away left-overs. Eat them the next day, get creative.
3. Save paper by doing things electronically. Reuse paper.
4. Use mechanical pencils that are refillable. Saves wood and trees.
5. Use re-usable lunch boxes not paper bags.
6. Use cloth diapers - they reduce waste (think of all the disposable diapers in landfills) are softer, easier than you think, and do not contain the harmful chemicals that disposable diapers do.
7. Turn off water when brushing.
8. Use cloth napkins, wipes, paper towels instead of disposables.
9. Buy things in bulk to reduce packaging.
10. Use a filter instead of bottled water.
11. Buy quality toys, clothes and furniture that will last - things that you can easily fix, mend, etc. instead of buying new.
12. Use your clothes line (smells fresher anyway) to save energy.
13. Reuse plastic bags from the grocery store.
14. Carpool.
15. Go to the library instead of buying new books.
16. Use fans instead of air conditioning.
17. Light a fire and dress warm instead of turning up the heat.
18. Walk instead of joining a gym.
19. Buy second hand.
20. Plan your meals and make a detailed list before going to the store to avoid purchasing what you do not need.
21. Reuse old newspapers for crafts, etc.
22. Read the paper online.
23. Do not start smoking.
24. Plant a garden and grow your own veggies.
25. Plant trees.
26. Use artificial trees during the holidays instead of cutting one down.
27. When you see trash, pick it up. Even if nobody is around.
28. Recycle.
29. Donate old things.
30. Barter.
31. Don't kill animals or insects for no reason. Teach your children to value all life. Everything has it's place on this earth and it's own job for the benefit of the earth.
32. Make your own toys.
33. Teach children the value of simplicity... they do not need lots of things or toys that flash and make noise. It robs them of their imagination.
34. Watch less TV. Encourage children to go outside or create instead of watching TV or playing videos. Consider giving your children the gift of a Media-free childhood.
35. Make your own foods from scratch rather than buying too many processed foods that come in boxes and packages. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store, try to stay away from the middle isles.
36. http://www.freecycle.com/   

No comments: